The purpose of this section is to explain how ISA handles the host university transcripts of North American students who participate in our study abroad programs.
Attention GlobaLinks Learning Abroad alumni: Please reference the section at the bottom of this page for information regarding your transcripts.
Process of receiving your transcript:
- ISA students study at accredited host universities and receive an official transcript upon completion of the program.
- The transcripts are sent to ISA from the host university.
- Because the North American and overseas university schedules differ, it may take as long as 2-3 months for ISA to receive the official transcripts from the host university after the completion of an ISA program. However, most North American universities are accustomed to this delay.
- Once the transcripts are sent to ISA, the Academic Records Department automatically sends one official transcript to the student's home (U.S. or Canadian) university via UPS.
- ISA also sends one unofficial photocopy to the student's permanent address via regular mail, unless there is an outstanding balance on the student's account. This photocopy will be accompanied by a letter containing the UPS tracking number so that students may track transcripts on the UPS website.
- Students may also check the status of their program's transcripts at one of the following links:
Status of Spring/Winter 2014 Transcripts
Status of Summer 2014 Transcripts
The cover letter:
- Is sent with each transcript that is sent to student's home university
- Contains valuable information and is meant to facilitate the job of the transcript evaluator.
- Includes a translation of course titles, the number of hours of instruction for each course, the language level for each course (if applicable), the language of instruction for each course, and a note as to whether the courses were "regular" university courses (with local students of the host country) or "special" courses specifically designed for international students
- Offers a grading scale recommendation*
*It is ultimately the responsibility of the student's home university to determine the grade equivalencies and decide how classes taken abroad will apply to each student's degree program. Once the transcripts are received by the home university, it often takes up to 8 weeks to evaluate transfer credit and update students' academic records. In order for credits to be transferred, students must obtain course approval from their home universities. ISA recommends that students get this approval prior to departure.
Before returning back to the US:
- It greatly benefits students to meet with their on-site professors to find out their grades BEFORE departing their study abroad site. This may not always be a possibility, but several of the programs will allow students to check their grades before departure, and this will help avoid academic disputes several months after their program has ended.
- ISA also recommends that students save all coursework and syllabi from the courses they complete at the host university. This may be beneficial to students if they contest a grade after returning home. This may also facilitate the transfer of credits from the host university to student's home university after the completion of the program.
*Please note that transcript procedures differ slightly for the Fine Arts and French Language summer program in Paris. Please contact Matt Gulizia at ISA (see below) for additional information.
Please follow this link to view the Academic Records & Transcripts FAQ
Should you need additional transcripts sent in the future (for jobs, graduate school, etc.) you must complete the Additional Transcript Request Form (ATRF) and submit it in with the required payment amount.
Please read the payment information on the form very carefully:
- Requests submitted with a money order, cashier's check, or credit card will be processed within 3 weeks.
- Requests submitted with a personal check will be held during a 1-week clearing period in addition to the 3 week processing period.
- When paying with credit card you will submit payment to ISA as the final step of your Additional Transcript Request online.
Students should also include any additional required forms with the ATRF, i.e. AACOMAS. You may submit forms that should be sent out with your transcript to ATRF@studiesabroad.com
. If you are requesting a transcript to be sent to a university that is part of the University of California (UC) system or World Education Services (WES), an original transcript will be required. In this case, please contact ISA to review your options, as we will need to request these originals from abroad.
Upon receiving the ATRF and payment, ISA will send an official copy of the foreign transcript to the location designated by the student. All transcripts are stored at the ISA Austin office indefinitely. If you have any questions about requesting additional transcripts, please contact Elise Blum (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Remember that your home university will ultimately make the decision about how classes taken abroad will apply to your degree program. If you have any questions regarding transcripts, please contact the Academic Records Department in the ISA Austin office:
- Alonso De La Fuente for all countries, except France. (email@example.com)
- Matt Gulizia for France (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Elise Blum for Additional Transcript Requests (email@example.com)
All official transcripts are sent by GlobaLinks Learning Abroad directly to the International Office of your home university (unless your university does not have one, and in that case, they will be sent directly to the Admissions Office/Registrar). A copy is sent to your permanent address.
Keep in mind it can take several months for GlobaLinks Learning Abroad to receive the transcripts from the university abroad. Your transcript will not be sent to your home university if you have an outstanding balance with either GlobaLinks Learning Abroad or the university you attended.
Click on one of the appropriate links below to see the status of your transcripts:
- Asia Transcripts
- Europe Transcripts
- Pacific Transcripts
View the instructions on how to re-order transcripts for the university/program you attended here
If you have any questions regarding transcripts, please contact Chloe Sweem at firstname.lastname@example.org.