Prior to their departure and on-site orientation, students will receive a detailed and extensive online pre-departure orientation which serves as a primer for their study abroad experience in Costa Rica. This orientation allows students to read up on pertinent information before their arrival in Costa Rica. The orientation covers academics, daily life, culture, useful phrases, food, housing, the university, ISA facilities, money matters, visas, and numerous other details. In this way, we hope every student is as prepared as possible before departing on their study abroad adventure. Of course, students are always welcome to contact the Costa Rica Site Specialist
with any questions.
Bridging Cultures Program
ISA designed the Bridging Cultures Program (BCP) to help ease our students' transition into their study abroad experience by introducing them to their new host country's culture, language and lifestyle.
The BCP blends discussion and interactive activities into an informative and fun introduction to the student's new host country. Each program is designed to:
- Help facilitate the adjustment and adaptation process.
- Guide each student through a goal-setting activity to encourage them to reflect on their expectations for their study abroad experience.
- Introduce students to the local culture through a variety of activities including a review of key words and phrases in the local language, understanding traditions and more.
- Visit culturally relevant destinations in Heredia during a familiarization tour, accompanied by ISA Resident Staff.
- Prepare students for some of the relevant health and safety issues in their host country.
- Provide students with valuable information regarding visas, housing, transportation, communication, finances and budgeting, and career development.
- Inform students about important academic information related to the students' program, including the course registration process, attendance policies, the host university grading scale, optional tutoring and unique academic differences between Costa Rica and North America.
- Highlight planned cultural activities and excursions for the program, along with opportunities to meet locals.
- Start students on the road to discovery by providing them with an instructive, engaging and memorable experience at the beginning of their program.