Prior to their departure and on-site orientation, students will receive a detailed and extensive pre-departure online orientation which serves as a primer for their study abroad experience in the Czech Republic. Although the on-site orientation will cover the nitty-gritty of life in Prague, the online orientation allows students to read up on pertinent information before their arrival in the Czech Republic. It will cover topics such as culture, housing, bugeting, cell phones, food, the university, and numerous other details. Of course, students are always welcome to contact the Czech Republic Site Specialist
with any questions.
Participants will fly into the Prague Vaclav Havel International Airport (PRG) where they are met by the resident staff and taken to their housing location. As part of their orientation, students will receive an introduction to Czech society and culture, and take a tour of the city. Resident staff will provide students with valuable information on health and safety, housing, transportation, and currency. The orientation will also cover important academic information, including reviewing students' course selections and the course registration process. Throughout your time abroad your ISA resident staff will continue to help you assimilate into the Prague lifestyle.
Bridging Cultures Program
One of the first adventures that students will experience in their new country is the Bridging Cultures Program. The Bridging Cultures Program aims to ease students' transition to their study abroad experience and accelerate their exposure to their new host country.
ISA's Bridging Cultures Program blends adventure, lecture and culture into an informative and fun introduction to the student's new host country. Each program is designed to:
- Help speed the adjustment and adaptation process.
- Guide each student through a goal-setting activity to encourage them to reflect on their expectations for their study abroad experience.
- Introduce students to the local culture through a variety of activities including the learning the key words and phrases in the local language, understanding traditions and more.
- Visit culturally relevant destinations in the program locations such as the Prague Castle and Old Town Square.
- Prepare students for some of the relevant health and safety issues in their host country.
- Inform students of the cultural and academic differences they'll experience.
- Start students on the road to discovery by providing them with a fun and memorable adventure at the beginning of their study abroad experience.