Prior to their departure students will receive a detailed pre-departure online orientation which serves as a primer for their study abroad experience in Australia. Although the on-site orientation will cover the nitty-gritty of life in Newcastle, the online orientation allows students to read up on pertinent information before their arrival in Australia. It will cover topics such as: culture, housing, budgeting, cell phones, food, the university, and numerous other details. Of course, students are always welcome to contact the Newcastle Site Specialist
with any questions.
Bridging Cultures Program
The Bridging Cultures Program is designed to help ease our students' transition into their study abroad experience by introducing them to their new host country's culture, language and lifestyle.
The Briding Cultures Program blends discussion and interactive activities into an informative and fun introduction to the student's new host country. Each program is designed to:
- Help facilitate the adjustment and adaptation process.
- Guide each student through a goal-setting activity to encourage them to reflect on their expectations for their study abroad experience.
- Introduce students to the local culture through a variety of activities including a review of key words and phrases in the local language, understanding traditions and more.
- Prepare students for some of the relevant health and safety issues in Australia.
- Provide students with valuable information regarding visas, housing, transportation, communication, finances and budgeting, and career development.
- Inform students about important academic information related to the students' program, including the course registration process, attendance policies, the host university grading scale, optional tutoring and unique academic differences between Australia and North America.
- Highlight planned cultural activities and excursions for the program, along with opportunities to meet locals.
- Start students on the road to discovery by providing them with an instructive, engaging and memorable experience at the beginning of their program.