Salamanca, Spain (pop. 156,000) is described by many as the ideal study abroad location because of the outstanding academic possibilities at the Universidad de Salamanca, assorted cultural opportunities, and proximity to the capital city of Madrid. It is one of the most magnificent renaissance cities in all of Europe. Salamanca was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1988 and a European City of Culture in 2002. The city is small enough to navigate by foot, allowing you to gain an intimate understanding of the local landscape and culture. Sandstone colored buildings fill the city, earning Salamanca the nickname of La Ciudad Dorada (The Golden City).
TOP 10 REASONS TO STUDY ABROAD IN SALAMANCA
1. Enjoy a City of Festivals- Salamanca hosts many festivals throughout the year including Día de los Reyes Magos, Semana Santa, Corpus Christi, Feria de Salamanca and many more!
2. Buff Up On Your History - From Christopher Columbus to Lorca, the Universidad de Salamanca has housed so much history throughout its 800-year existence! As an ISA student, you will be studying within the walls of this great institution, the oldest university in Spain and the third oldest in Western Europe.
3. Get Your Green On - Join the Green Office at the Universidad de Salamanca to work on environmental and sustainable projects around Salamanca to keep your community abroad clean and green!
4. Stay Active - Take advantage of the comprehensive sports complex at the Universidad de Salamanca by using the soccer/rugby fields, tennis courts, beach volleyball, a track and the weight room.
5. Volunteer at a Local School - Students enrolled in an ISA Salamanca semester, trimester or academic year program (who have a Spanish language level of high intermediate or above) can integrate themselves in the Salamantino community by participating in the Salamanca Volunteer Teaching Certificate Program. This program allows students to volunteer as native English speakers in a public school in Salamanca. Typically, students volunteer for 2-4 hours per week. Upon culmination of the program, students will receive a certificate from the Spanish Ministry of Education and from ISA indicating their successful completion of volunteer hours.
Students enrolled in an ISA Salamanca Summer program, as well as students with a beginning to intermediate Spanish language level, have a similar volunteer teaching opportunity at an English academy in Salamanca. Check out the Salamanca Cultural Highlights page for more information!
6. Walkability - Bring your walking shoes and explore the entirety of beautiful Salamanca completely by foot.
7. City of Gold - Enjoy the beauty of Salamanca's city center, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, which shimmers in the sunlight due to being made of sandstone.
8. Tapas - Get your fill of delicious, traditional Spanish tapas at one of the many tapas restaurants throughout the city.
9. Vibrant Student Life - Enjoy all of the perks of a small city with some of the most vibrant student life in Spain.
10. The Lucky Frog - Rise up to the challenge and locate the lucky hidden frog carved into the facade of the Universidad de Salamanca. The legend says that if you find the frog, you will have good luck throughout your studies. Good luck!
More about Salamanca
Academic Programs Offered in Salamanca
|(Sep 20, 2017 to Dec 16, 2017)||ISLF1317||$10,450|