Principles of Business Management
University of the Western Cape
Cape Town, South Africa
Area of Study
Business, Business Management
Taught In English
BCom (3year), BCom(Acc)(4 year) ? none; BAdmin (from 2015), BCom 4-yr, Non-EMS
students IEB131, IEB133 or IEB134
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Host University Units15
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits4
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units6
Hours & Credits
At the end of the module students will be able to describe and demonstrate an understanding
· the nature of the business enterprise and its constituent components
· the process of establishing a business in South Africa
· the internal and external environment within which businesses operate
· the requirements of successful entrepreneurs/ship.
· the principles of managing the main functional areas
· the basic management principles such as planning, organizing, leading and controlling
· the dynamics of working and completing tasks in a group
· Overview of the business enterprise as a system
· Historical development of the field of Management.
· External and internal business environment
· Establishing a business.
· Principles of managing the main functional areas ? marketing, employment
relations/human resources, operations and finance
· Functions of management ? planning, organising, leading, controlling
Credits earned vary according to the policies of the students' home institutions. According to ISA policy and possible visa requirements, students must maintain full-time enrollment status, as determined by their home institutions, for the duration of the program.