Nelson Mandela University
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Area of Study
Taught In English
General Chemistry or home university equivalent
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Host University Units6
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits0
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units0
Hours & Credits
This module will provide students with knowledge of the chemistry of monofunctional aliphatic compounds. Students will be able to name relevant compounds, draw out structures, write out equations for the preparation and reactions of compounds, and outline and explain the mechanisms by which selected reactions take place.
- Knowledge of the structures of simple aliphatic compounds is demonstrated.
- Knowledge of the nomenclature of simple aliphatic compounds is demonstrated.
- Knowledge of reactions for the synthesis of simple aliphatic compounds is demonstrated.
- Knowledge of the reactions that simple aliphatic compounds undergo is demonstrated.
- Application of the mechanistic approach to organic chemistry in the above is demonstrated.
- Knowledge of the skills necessary for the manipulation of chemical compounds and performing of organic chemical reactions is demonstrated through laboratory experiments.
- Structure and bonding.
- Forming and breaking bonds.
- Properties of bonds.
- Alkanes and cycloalkanes.
- Stereochemistry: Basic principles.
- Alkyl halides.
- Aldehydes and ketones.
- Carboxylic acids and derivatives.
- Laboratory practicals.