Development Issues in Contemporary Africa
Nelson Mandela University
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Area of Study
African Studies, Development Studies
Taught In English
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Host University Units10
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits0
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units1
Hours & Credits
This module exemplifies contemporary trends, problems and challenges of development in Africa.
The student will be able to:
- describe and evaluate specific contemporary trends, challenges and problems of development in Africa;
- describe and evaluate specific development interventions in the light of the trends, challenges and problems of development in Africa;
- explain the contemporary African trends, challenges and problems of development in relation to mainstream development theory;
- explain how the selected trends, problems and challenges of development feed into development praxis;
- identify the challenges of development praxis.
- Development challenges past and present: Colonialism and Post-Colonialism in Africa and the post-independent state.
- Development policy formulation and implementation processes in African economies.
- New international and regional development theory and its implications for Africa.
- Selected case studies of African economies.