Global Development Studies
Nelson Mandela University
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Area of Study
Taught In English
Course Level Recommendations
Host University Units12
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits0
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units1
Hours & Credits
This module familiarises students with the cultural, political, environmental, scientific, and economic issues of modern times and prepares students, as citizens of the world, to offer creative solutions to today?s development challenges.
The student will be able to:
- describe the major trends in global studies;
- describe the theoretical roots of these trends;
- explain the origins and consequences of global economic disparity;
- explain how the different theories feed into development praxis;
- identify and elaborate the challenges of development praxis;
- describe and evaluate global development theories;
- describe and evaluate global development issues and interventions in the light of the theories covered.
- Trends and theory in global studies.
- Civil society and global economic disparity.
- Development and millennium development goals.
- International aid.
- Major global development issues and interventions.