Business, Chinese Studies & Language
East China Normal University
Located in the downtown Putuo district of Shanghai, East China Normal University (ECNU) is known as a "garden university" due to its stunning campus. The university boasts flower gardens throughout the complex, water features, and a gated entrance that insulates the campus from the noisy city streets. ISA students at ECNU will take courses through the university's Global Education Center, which offers courses in Chinese language, Chinese studies, and business. The university lies in the heart of the bustling city, but the beautiful campus provides students with a peaceful escape from the otherwise busy Shanghai.
Fall 1 2019
Early Sep, 2019 - Mid Dec, 2019
Jun 01, 2019
184 - 235 Contact Hours
2.50 Minimum GPA*
- Apply Now
Take the first steps toward a successful international career in one of the most dynamic cities in the world. While participating in the Business, Chinese Studies & Language program, you will be able to choose from a diverse set of courses that include topics such as business, political science, economics, and history. In addition, you can choose to enroll in a Chinese language course.
Business and Chinese Studies courses are instructed in English, and Chinese language class levels range from beginner to advanced. No previous language experience is required to participate in the program. Courses are taught by host university faculty, and classmates will be ISA programmates, as well as other international students.
Semester + Semester Programs Available: You may participate in the Spring + Fall OR the Fall + Spring sessions of this program by selecting your two terms of interest when submitting the initial ISA online application. You may also do back-to-back sessions with the Intensive Chinese Language program (semester and summer options). For more information about these options, please contact your Shanghai Program Manager.
Students must have a minimum grade point average of 2.50.
- East China Normal University will only admit non-Chinese citizens. Students who hold a passport from Mainland China (PRC) are not eligible for this program.
Comprehensive Advising and Support
Comprehensive Health, Safety, and Security Support
Tuition at the Host University
Bridging Cultures Program
Full-Time Resident Staff
ISA Discovery Model
Subscription to The New York Times
Official Transcript from the Host University
Professional Development Toolbox
184 - 235
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits
12 - 15
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units
18 - 22.5
- Courses and course hours of instruction are subject to change.
- Eligibility for language courses may be subject to a placement exam and/or prerequisites.
- Course availability is based on enrollment numbers. You should seek pre-approval for alternate courses in the event of last-minute class cancelations.
- You can sign up for 4 courses total. A 5th course can be added for an additional fee.
- You are required to select 4 alternate courses in the event of top course choices conflicting on the timetable, course cancellations, or registration issues.
- You should get your alternate courses pre-approved by your academic advisor.
- ISA recommends 12-15 U.S. semester credits be awarded for your program (3 U.S. semester credits per core class, 6 U.S. semester credits per language class) . However, transfer credits earned will be decided entirely by your home university. It is important to be in touch with your university about course approvals and transfer credit pre-departure.
- According to ISA policy and possible visa requirements, you must maintain full-time enrollment status, as determined by your home university.
Course Level Recommendations
- ISA offers course level recommendations for the courses listed below. These ISA recommendations are intended to help with the determination of course equivalencies at U.S. home institutions.
- The transcript from East China Normal University will reflect contact hours and recommended U.S. grade equivalencies for each course listed below. Please be in touch with your home university regarding credit transfer for this program.
select allclear all
- Availability of courses is based on enrollment numbers. All students should seek pre-approval for alternate courses in the event of last minute class cancellations
- Courses and course hours of instruction are subject to change.
- Credits earned vary according to the policies of the students' home institutions. According to ISA policy and possible visa requirements, students must maintain full-time enrollment status, as determined by their home institutions, for the duration of the program.
Support & Funding
Funding Your ISA Program
As an ISA participant, you will have the opportunity to apply for scholarships and grants that can be applied directly to assist with your study abroad programs. ISA offers over $1,000,000 in scholarships and grants each year. To see what opportunities are available, please visit the Funding Your Program page.View all Funding Options
Living in ISA housing will give you the opportunity to experience aspects of the Chinese lifestyle that are inaccessible to the average visitor to Shanghai. Uncovering the uniqueness of your accommodations and the surrounding areas will help you to feel right at home. With an open and adaptable mind, the experience of living in another culture can be highly rewarding.
While in Shanghai, you will live in one of ECNU's on-campus dormitories for international students. The dorms are on the west side of campus and are close to the ISA office, the classrooms, and some of the campus cafeterias. Shopping spots and restaurants in the nearby residential areas are easily accessible. Bedrooms are double-occupancy and you may be roomed with a fellow ISA student, a local student, or another international student of your same gender. Meals are not included, although there is a communal kitchen located on each floor. Laundry facilities in the building can be used for an additional cost.
You will pay a $500 refundable security deposit if living in this ISA housing option. ISA may retain some, or all, of this deposit in the event of damage to property, or if utility usage exceeds the allotted monthly amount.
You may elect to secure housing independently. If you select this option, you will receive a discount equal to the housing portion of the program price.
THERE’S MORE TO DISCOVER WITH ISA
ISA excursions allow you to explore the diverse, alluring, and stunning landscape of China that you may not have the chance to visit on your own. While abroad, you will have the chance to go on two weekend trips, two day trips, and one optional weekend trip to the following destinations.
Beijing is the capital city of China and home to many of the country's most significant historical monuments. Although one could spend months in Beijing and still not see all that it has to offer, during this weekend excursion you will have the opportunity to see most of the major sites, from the Forbidden City and the Summer Palace, to the Temple of Heaven, the Ming Dynasty Tombs, and of course, the Great Wall of China.
Perhaps the most famous site in Hangzhou is the beautiful West Lake. The West Lake is a very popular scenic vacation spot in China, with numerous temples, gardens, pavilions, and bridges just waiting to be explored. Spend your weekend visiting the city's cultural landmarks, boating on the lake, or taking a peaceful stroll along the waterside.
Nanjing is one of China's ancient capitals and has been a central figure throughout all of the nation's dynasties. Visit the old Nanjing city wall and the site of the Confucius Temple. The Nanjing Massacre Memorial Hall is a necessary visit for anyone wishing to understand the complex relationship between China and Japan, as the event continues to impact politics in East Asia even today.
Spend the day taking in the beautiful scenery in one of China's famous Water Villages. Known as the "Venices of the East", these villages are known for their vast canals and unique culture. You will be able to see the traditional houses that line the rivers and learn about their historical significance, all while serenely floating through the town.