Intensive Chinese Language
East China Normal University
Located in the downtown Putuo district of Shanghai, East China Normal University (ECNU) is known as a "garden university" due to its stunning campus. The university boasts flower gardens throughout the complex, water features, and a gated entrance that insulates the campus from the noisy city streets. ISA students at ECNU will take courses through the university's Global Education Center, which offers courses in Chinese language, Chinese studies, and business. The university lies in the heart of the bustling city, but the beautiful campus provides students with a peaceful escape from the otherwise busy Shanghai.
Summer 2 2019
Jul 05, 2019 - Aug 03, 2019
Mar 15, 2019
60 Contact Hours
2.50 Minimum GPA*
- Apply Now
Designed to hone your knowledge of Chinese language, this program offers courses to ISA students from the high beginning to high intermediate level.
Students participating in the Intensive Chinese Language summer program will take a full course load of Mandarin language courses. The program courses include speaking, reading, writing, and listening components. In order to participate in the program you must have taken at least one semester of college-level Chinese language. A placement exam will be given prior to the program's final forms and payment deadline to ensure that you are placed in the language level that will make you most successful.
Back to back sessions of this program are available. You may select both sessions when submitting your online application and will receive a discount from the combined price of the sessions. For more information about this option, please contact your Shanghai Program Manager.
Students must have a minimum grade point average of 2.50.
MINIMUM ADMISSIONS PREREQUISITES
Students must have completed or tested out of a minimum of one semester (two quarters) of college-level Chinese
- East China Normal University will only admit non-Chinese citizens. Students who hold a passport from Mainland China (PRC) are not eligible for this program.
Comprehensive Advising and Support
Comprehensive Health, Safety, and Security Support
Tuition at the Host University
Bridging Cultures Program
Full-Time Resident Staff
ISA Discovery Model
Subscription to The New York Times
Official Transcript from the Host University
Professional Development Toolbox
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units
- Courses and course hours of instruction are subject to change.
- Eligibility for courses may be subject to a placement exam and/or prerequisites.
- Enrollment in Chinese courses is determined by the results of a language placement exam administered by ISA. Please note that your performance on the placement exam may not reflect the number of semesters of language instruction you’ve already completed at your home university.
- It is recommended that you prepare for the language placement exam by reviewing previous coursework.
- ISA recommends 4 U.S. semester credits be awarded for your program. However, transfer credits earned will be decided entirely by your home university. It is important to be in touch with your university about course approvals and transfer credit pre-departure.
- According to ISA policy and possible visa requirements, you must maintain full-time enrollment status, as determined by your home university.
- Please note that there is no true beginning level Chinese courses offered in this program.
Course Level Recommendations
- ISA offers course level recommendations for the courses listed below. These ISA recommendations are intended to help with the determination of course equivalencies at U.S. home institutions.
- The transcript from East China Normal University will reflect contact hours and recommended U.S. grade equivalencies for each course listed below. Please be in touch with your home university regarding credit transfer for this program.
- Courses and course hours of instruction are subject to change.
- Credits earned vary according to the policies of the students' home institutions. According to ISA policy and possible visa requirements, students must maintain full-time enrollment status, as determined by their home institutions, for the duration of the program.
- Eligibility for courses may be subject to a placement exam and/or pre-requisites.
Support & Funding
Funding Your ISA Program
As an ISA participant, you will have the opportunity to apply for scholarships and grants that can be applied directly to assist with your study abroad programs. ISA offers over $1,000,000 in scholarships and grants each year. To see what opportunities are available, please visit the Funding Your Program page.View all Funding Options
Living in ISA housing will give you the opportunity to experience aspects of the Chinese lifestyle that are inaccessible to the average visitor to Shanghai. Uncovering the uniqueness of your accommodations and the surrounding areas will help you to feel right at home. With an open and adaptable mind, the experience of living in another culture can be highly rewarding.
While in Shanghai, you will live in one of ECNU's on-campus dormitories for international students. The dorms are on the west side of campus and are close to the ISA office, the classrooms, and some of the campus cafeterias. Shopping spots and restaurants in the nearby residential areas are easily accessible. Bedrooms are double-occupancy and you may be roomed with a fellow ISA student, a local student, or another international student of your same gender. Meals are not included, although there is a communal kitchen located on each floor. Laundry facilities in the building can be used for an additional cost.
You will pay a $500 refundable security deposit if living in this ISA housing option. ISA may retain some, or all, of this deposit in the event of damage to property, or if utility usage exceeds the allotted monthly amount.
You may elect to secure housing independently. If you select this option, you will receive a discount equal to the housing portion of the program price.
THERE’S MORE TO DISCOVER WITH ISA
ISA excursions allow you to explore the diverse, alluring, and stunning landscape of China that you may not have the chance to visit on your own. While abroad, you will have the chance to go on two day trips to the following destinations.
Perhaps the most famous site in Hangzhou is the beautiful West Lake. The West Lake is a very popular scenic vacation spot in China, with numerous temples, gardens, pavilions, and bridges just waiting to be explored. Spend your weekend visiting the city's cultural landmarks, boating on the lake, or taking a peaceful stroll along the waterside.
Nanjing is one of China's ancient capitals and has been a central figure throughout all of the nation's dynasties. Visit the old Nanjing city wall and the site of the Confucius Temple. The Nanjing Massacre Memorial Hall is a necessary visit for anyone wishing to understand the complex relationship between China and Japan, as the event continues to impact politics in East Asia even today.