Food Hygiene and Sanitation
Area of Study
Nutrition and Food Science
Taught In English
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Host University Units4
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units0
Hours & Credits
Biological and chemical hazard in food that result from improper processing, packaging, handling and storage; cleaning of food plant equipment and facilities including characteristics of soil on equipment surfaces, cleaning compounds, clean-in-place, clean-out-of-place, sanitizers and their characteristics, and GMPs.
- To integrate concepts in chemistry, organic chemistry, and biochemistry, with food processing sanitation and safety operations and understand their role in processing of food.
- To gain the ability to think critically about problems and issues in food processing.
- To gain an appreciation for how the food processing industry’s role in society.
- Gain an understanding of food hygiene, sanitation, and safety during food processing unit operations.
- Field Trips
- Powerpoint presentations
- Handouts on relevant topics
Measurement and evaluation of student achievement:
Assessment made from the stated criteria- students who receive more than 90% of the total points will receive a grade A.
Courses and course hours of instruction are subject to change.
Eligibility for courses may be subject to a placement exam and/or pre-requisites.
Some courses may require additional fees.
Credits earned vary according to the policies of the students' home institutions. According to ISA policy and possible visa requirements, students must maintain full-time enrollment status, as determined by their home institutions, for the duration of the program.
Availability of courses is based on enrollment numbers. All students should seek pre-approval for alternate courses in the event of last minute class cancellations
Please note that some courses with locals have recommended prerequisite courses. It is the student's responsibility to consult any recommended prerequisites prior to enrolling in their course.