3D Interface Technologies
Dublin City University
Area of Study
Taught In English
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units5
Hours & Credits
This module deals with the visualisation of / interaction with acquired and synthetic 3D data. The topics covered include: 3D data acquisition, the mathematical fundamentals of 3D graphics, 3D application development for web and mobile platforms, rendering techniques for use with volumetric data and advanced 3D visualisation systems. The assessment of the module consists of a terminal examination and an assignment where the student created a bespoke sensor driven immersive 3D visualisation system.
1. Understand and apply the mathematical concepts relating to 3D user interface design
2. Integrate bespoke 3D computer graphics software with the appropriate sensors to create sensor driven immersive 3D visualisation systems
3. Understand and apply the design processes relating to mobile application development and 3D application development in both familiar and unfamiliar situations
4. Design and conduct experiment to determine the performance and accuracy of a bespoke 3D user interface.
5. Understand the concepts from physics and medicine that relate to the acquisition of medical image data and explain the ethical issues associated with the acquisition of 3D data in this context
6. Succinctly describe the relevant advantages and disadvantages of their own 3D interface system; write reports and summarise their own work in abstracts; act on instructions related to the development of a bespoke 3D interface system and give clear instructions explaining how the developed system should be used