Drug Design Workshop
Dublin City University
Area of Study
Chemistry, Pharmacy, Pre-Pharmacy
Taught In English
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits2
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units3
Hours & Credits
The purpose of this module is to provide detailed understanding of some aspects of the problems faced by the modern drug industry in developing new active molecules. This will be achieved by setting the students problems in medicinal chemistry which are then approached using a rational and structured method. This will require the students to work in groups on the application of theoretical and computational drug discovery techniques to different aspects of a problem in molecular design.
1. Demonstrate an appreciation of the drug design process in modern pharmaceutical science.
2. Complete calculations using prominent software packages to predict molecular properties.
3. Work with their class group to collate and analyse calculated data to address a simple problem in computational drug design.
4. Critically evaluate the outputs of the group and propose improved strategies for further analysis.
5. Present the outcomes of their work in a written form.