Ireland, Sex and Text
Dublin City University
Area of Study
English, Gender Studies, Irish Culture, Literature, Literatures in English
Taught In English
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits2
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units3
Hours & Credits
The course investigates and explores the relationship between contemporary literary and artistic Irish artefacts, and Irish sexualities. Theoretical perspectives from masculinity studies, women studies, heterosexual studies, LGBT studies and Queer studies are being used as a platform to analyse contemporary literature and art.
1. explore, from contemporary literary and non-literary perspectives, the nature of Irish sexual discourses
2. assess the way contemporary literature and contemporary films both reflect and respond to Irish sexual paradigms in Irish society
3. acknowledge the centrality of the issue of sex and sexuality in today's Ireland
4. demonstrate an adequate level of critical understanding as a means to address Irish contemporary debates
5. articulate orally and in written form their thoughts and ideas