Mediation Skills for the Learning Context
Dublin City University
Area of Study
Education, Teacher Education
Taught In English
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits2
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units3
Hours & Credits
The purpose of this module is to introduce students to the processes and skills necessary for effective interpersonal communication between educators/trainers and learners in an education and training environment. In this module students will develop the knowledge and skills necessary to support the practice of teaching and learning in an education/training setting, for example, factors influencing a positive learning environment, managing the relationship in the learning environment, mediation skills for working with students with special education needs,skills & competencies for the intercultural learning environment,dealing with conflict, and professional and personal self-care for the educator/trainer.Students are expected to attend lectures and engage in group work to share and reflect on their experience with respect to the mediation aspect of the placement practice module on the programme.
1. Develop a reflective practice approach in working as an educator/trainer.
2. Create the appropiate conditions to maximise a positive learning environment for students in an education/training environment.
3. Employ the requisite skills to manage situations of confrontation and conflict in an education/training environment.
4. Integrate into their practice the necessary skills for working in a diverse education/training context.
5. Apply basic counselling, coaching and mentoring techniques to become a skilled helper as an educator/trainer.