The Seven Wonders of Spain, Spanish Architecture History
Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona
Area of Study
Architecture, Art History, Spanish Culture
Taught In English
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units4
Hours & Credits
This program has been designed to teach students about the cultural diversity and richness of the Spanish Heritage. They will study the most representative buildings of each period that have been included in the Unesco?s World Heritage List for having outstanding universal value. Along the course, students will be also able to recognize the most important masterpieces of the Spanish architecture, know the reasons that account for their unanimous positive appraisal, and analyze their artistic characteristics and their social and historical implications. The methods of instruction will include
lectures and field visits.
- Fluent in English
- Interest in the Humanities, and more particularly in art, architecture and history
1. UNESCO and its Word Heritage Site list.
2. The Sistine Chapel of the Paleolithic.
2.1. Archaeological Site of Atapuerca
2.2.Cave of Altamira and Paleolithic Cave Art of Northern Spain
2.3. Rock Art of the Mediterranean Basin on the Iberian Peninsula
3. Roman Hispania.
3.1. Archaeological Ensemble of Mérida
3.2. Archaeological Ensemble of Tarraco (Tarragona)
3.3. Old Town of Segovia and its Aqueduct
3.4 Roman Walls of Lugo
4. Al-Targ-Lulà, the Iberian Peninsula under the muslim.
4.1. Alhambra, Generalife and Albayzín of Granada
4.2. Historic centre of Cordoba
5. Christianity in the borders.
5.1. Catalan Romanesque Churches of the Vall de Boí
5.2. Monuments of Oviedo and the Kingdom of Asturias
5.3. Santiago de Compostela
5.3. Route of Santiago de Compostela
5.4. Mudéjar Architecture of Aragon
5.6. San Millán Yuso and Suso Monasteries
6. God is light. The stained glass windows of Gothic Cathedrals. The power of the sea, commerce in the Mediterranean
6.1. Burgos Cathedral
6.2. Poblet Monastery
6.3. La Lonja de la Seda de Valencia
7. Is there Renaissance in Spain?
7.1. Monastery and Site of the Escurial, Madrid.
7.2. Historic City of Toledo.
7.3. Old town of Cáceres
7.4. University of Alcalá de Henares
7.5. Renaissance Monumental Ensamble of Úbeda and Baeza
8. The imperial Spain. Lights and Shadows of the golden century
8.1. Cathedral, Alcázar and Archivo de Indias in Seville
8.2. Old city of Salamanca
8.3. Royal Monastery of Santa María de Guadalupe
9. A new image for a new city. Modern architecture and the Modernisme
9.1. Vizcaya Bridge
9.2. Work of Antoni Gaudí
9.3. Palau de la Música Catalana and Hospital de Sant Pau, Barcelona.