Communication and Gender
Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona
Area of Study
Taught In English
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units4
Hours & Credits
Introduction to the course
This course aims to reflect on the importance of the media in the production, reproduction and perpetuation (or change) of gender roles. We will investigate how socially constructed gender categories inform our daily lives as citizens, consumers and creators of public discourse. We will also explore the dynamic relationship between gender and other identity categories (race, religion, class, sexuality, nationality, etc.). Finally, this course will analyse the contents of the press, radio, television, TV series, movies and Internet from a gender perspective.
The course has the following main learning objectives:
- To analyse the relationship between gender and communication in a variety of situational contexts.
- To produce a series of critical reflections regarding gender and communication.
- To consider how class, gender, ethnicity and sexuality interrelate in practice by reflecting on a selection of contemporary works that link multiple social categories.
- Fluent in English
1. Introduction. Theoretical Framework.
1.1. Communication, Gender and Culture.
1.2. Theoretical and Historical Understanding of Gender, Femininity and Masculinity.
1.3. Class, Gender, Ethnicity and Sexuality
1.4. Gender and Media: reproduction of gender roles and stereotypes
2. Gender and Media
2.1. Political Communication from a Gender Perspective
2.2. News production and Gender. Entertainment and Gender.
2.3. Culture and Gender Stereotyping in Advertisings.
2.4. Gender Stereotypes in Movies and TV series. Movies/TV series that break the gender stereotype.
2.5. Gender and Social Media
2.6. Gender and Music
3. Gender, Communication and Social Change
3.1. Gender Activism
3.2. Internet, Social Movements and Feminism.
3.3. Interculturality Communication and Gender
3.4. Developing professional projects or media content from a gender perspective: digital platforms and websites.