Spanish and Latin American Literature
Universidad Internacional Menéndez Pelayo - Santander
Area of Study
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits1
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units1 - 2
Hours & Credits
- Middle Ages. The Lyric (jarchas) and epic (epic poems). The Song of the Cid.
- XIII Century: Alfonso X the Wise. Berceo, the Archpriest of Hita.
- The fourteenth century: Don Juan Manuel. The Romances.
- XV Century: The Marquis de Santillana and Juan de Mane. The Songs of Jorge Manrique. La Celestina.
- Renaissance: Boscan and Garcilaso. Lazarillo, first modern novel. The picaresque novel. Fray Luis de León, Fernando de Herrera. St. Teresa of Avila, St. John of the Cross. Cervantes: Don Quixote. The Exemplary Novels: The Cervantes Theatre.
- Poetry: Góngora and Quevedo. The National Theatre: Lope de Vega.
- The eighteenth century. General characters. The theater. The illustration in Spain.
- Romanticism. The theater, poetry. Realism and naturalism in the English novel.
- The twentieth century. 98 Generation and Modernism. The writers of 98: Unamuno, Azorin, Valle Inclan. The Generation of '27. Poetry, novels and plays after 1939. The poetry and novels of the postwar period.
- Spanish American Poetry and Fiction.
Courses and course hours of instruction are subject to change.
Eligibility for courses may be subject to a placement exam and/or pre-requisites.
Availability of courses is based on enrollment numbers. All students should seek pre-approval for alternate courses in the event of last minute class cancellations