Creativity and Innovation
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Area of Study
Taught In English
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units4
Hours & Credits
Innovation and creativity are the key drivers of success in many industries today. They fuel the uptake of new technologies, the development of products and services and the formulation of strategies to secure competitive advantage. Truly innovative ideas can create new markets and boost a firm’s value or even transform its entire business model. But how do you propagate a culture of innovation? How do you tell which creative ideas are right for an organization? And how do you manage them effectively?
Organized in collaboration with Cardiff University, Wales, this course guides you through the minefield of creativity and innovation in the corporate environment. By introducing new ways of perceiving, understanding and approaching these aspects of the business matrix, it shows how they can make a real difference to the organization, to the market and to the bottom line.
The Creativity and Innovation course is taught by an international team with a strong management background as well as excellent academic credentials. Your lecturers boast ample real-life business experience through their consultancy work. Moreover, the course incorporates a unique hands-on assignment, the in-company boot camp, developed with and hosted by a corporate partner from the VU Amsterdam network.
The Netherlands became 9th in the 2016 Global Innovation Index, produced annually by Cornell University, INSEAD, and the World Intellectual Property Organization.
- You will understand the role of innovation from a marketing strategy perspective.
- You will understand innovation processes and the role of creativity within them.
- You will understand and be able to apply the basics of design thinking.
- You will be able to identify, analyse and explain an effective, creative concept leading to an innovation success.
- You will be able to apply theoretical concepts, frameworks and models to cases, illustrations and examples.
- You will understand individual and group creative processes.
- You will be able to form an innovative team and you will understand the challenges inherent to its management.
Lectures, interactive seminars, group project, in-company boot camp, private studey
One-day on-site boot camp at a company. You will tackle an innovation challenge in a pressure-cooker situation, presenting your solutions to company executives at the end of the day.
FORMS OF ASSESSMENT
Presentations, participation, short paper
Any student with an interest in creativity and innovation, especially from Business and Organization Studies, Economics, Social Sciences, Social Psychology, Healthcare, Media and Communication Studies, Engineering, Technology Management, Operations Management and Education.