Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Area of Study
Taught In English
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits4
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units3
Hours & Credits
- will have a basic understanding of the history of modern philosophy, specifically the period ranging from Descartes to Brentano;
- will know some of the important figures of this period (i.a. Descartes, Leibniz, Hume, Du Chatelet, Kant, Fichte, Hegel, Marx, Paulsen, and Brentano) and their theories;
- will be able to distinguish rationalist, empiricist, skeptical, critical, idealist, and existential theories
- Introduction to the philosophers and theories mentioned above
- study of primary texts, individually and in class;
- the historical context in which these philosophers and theories developed;
- the sense and use of history of philosophy;
- reading and understanding the original sources.
TYPE OF ASSESSMENT
RECOMMENDED BACKGROUND KNOWLEDGE
Courses in the history of ancient and medieval philosophy
Courses and course hours of instruction are subject to change.
Some courses may require additional fees.