Software Project Managment
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Area of Study
Taught In English
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units4
Hours & Credits
At the end of the course, students should be able to:
- Identify classic mistakes of software project management that can occur in different situations.
- Distinguish the most important characteristic of a software domain
- Select the most appropriate project life cycle model based on the specific characteristics of the software project
- Create a software project plan using different management techniques and tools
- Appreciate the need for careful planning, monitoring and control.
- Adopt new attitudes and working strategies to get successful software projects
First we give an overview of Classic Mistakes and how to avoid them in terms of Development Fundamentals. Then we go every week into more detail: Schedule-Oriented Practices, Lifecycle planning, Estimation, Scheduling, and Risk Management.
The course provides an examination of project management principles and modern software project management practices. The five process groups and nine knowledge areas of the Project Management are examined in the context of the systems development lifecycle. Techniques for measuring, estimating scheduling and managing risks of software projects are presented along the course. Experts from industry are also invited to give guest lectures.
Students work in groups to create their own project plan of a green software application.
Theory classes are alternated by hands-on sessions where the theory is put into practice through individual and group assignments. TYPE OF ASSESSMENT Written exam, team project, group assignment and individual assignments.
RECOMMENDED BACKGROUND KNOWLEDGE
Basic requirements engineering, a basic statistical background is helpful
Courses and course hours of instruction are subject to change.
Some courses may require additional fees.