Analog Electronics I
Universidad del Norte
Area of Study
Taught In English
Circuit Analysis I
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits4
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units6
Hours & Credits
Specific course information
Brief description of the content of the course (catalog description):
The course mainly focuses on a general understanding of the behavior of the most common semiconductor devices used in electronics applications oriented to both switching and amplification systems. The semiconductor devices studied in the course are: diodes junction (PN), bipolar junction transistors (BJT) and field effect transistors (MOSFETs). The basic physical principles of operation of the devices are studied, as its formation, polarization (CD), small signal behavior (CA) and its frequency response. In each case presents one or more mathematical models that allow the study of devices with conventional analysis techniques circuits with the primary objective of the approach and design troubleshooting electronic amplification systems. Finally, each theory session is accompanied by a practical session led by the teacher in which students can see what they study and strengthen their concepts through experience.
Specific goals for the course
After completing the course the student will be able to understand the workings of basic electronic devices in circuits. Primarily signal conditioning, also the student will gain an overview of the application of semiconductor materials in the creation of these devices.
Specific outcomes of instruction
- Understand the internal constitution of the diodes (ideal, real and zener), analyze their behavior I / V for different modes of operation and studying equivalent models.
- Understand the internal constitution of BJTs and MOSFETs analyze their behavior I / V for different modes of operation and studying equivalent models.
- Develop in students the skills of oral and written communication.
- Explicitly indicate which of the student outcomes listed in Criterion 3 or any other outcomes are addressed by the course.
- An Ability to function on multidisciplinary teams
Brief list of topics to be covered
- The Diode
- Introduction to Amplifiers
- BJT and MOSFET transistors ? DC and AC Analysis
Text book, title, author, and year:
- SEDRA, Adel; SMITH, Kenneth. Circuitos Microelectrónicos. 5ª Ed. McGraw HIll. Mexico 2006.
- RASHID, Muhammad. Circuitos Microelectrónicos: Análisis y Diseño. Thomson Editores. Boston, 1999.