Universidad del Norte
Area of Study
Civil Engineering, Engineering Science, Environmental Engineering
Taught In English
Mechanics of Fluids
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units4
Hours & Credits
This course introduces several subjects on the analysis and design of close and open conduits for flow conveyance and control of water resources systems.
At the successful completion of this course, the students should be able to:
- Understand and apply the fundamental principles of conservation of mass, energy and momentum for analysis and design of water resources systems;
- Analyze the flow in close conduits and to design single pipes, pipes in series and in parallel;
- Apply the concept of specific energy and specific force in open channel flow.
- Identify the subcritical, critical, and supercritical flow;
- Analyze uniform flow and to design an open channel with fixed and movable bed for uniform flow;
- Analyze profiles of gradually varied flow;
- Identify steady and unsteady flow conditions;
- Analyze weirs and to design culverts;
- Communicate effectively through reading and writing of documents associated with water resources systems;
- Conduct experiments related to flow in close and open conduits and to analyze the data collected there from;
- Applying computational tools for solving problems related to water resources engineering.
- Introduction. Fundamental principles. Conservation of mass, energy, and momentum.
- Fundamental principles of flow in closed conduits
- Analysis of flow in closed conduits
- Analysis and design of pipe in series and in parallel
- Analysis of pipe networks
- Flow regime and critical flow in open channels
- Specific energy, momentum, and specific force. Hydraulic jump
- Analysis of uniform flow. Design of channels for uniform flow
- Analysis of gradually varied flow
- Hydraulic structures
- Unsteady flow
This course contributes to the technological and professional components in water resources and environmental engineering. It prepares the student to understand, plan, analyze and design hydraulic structures and water resources systems.
- SALDARRIAGA, Juan. (1999). Hidráulica de Tuberías, Editorial McGraw Hill, Bogotá.
- CHANSON, Hubert. (2004). Hydraulics of Open Channel Flow: An Introduction - Basic Principles, Sediment Motion, Hydraulic Modeling, Design of Hydraulic Structures, Butterworth Heinemann. Translated to Spanish (2002) Hidráulica del flujo en canales abiertos McGraw-Hill.
- CHOW, V.T. (1959). Open channel flow, McGraw-Hill Companies, Translated to Spanish (1994) Hidráulica de canales abiertos, Editorial McGraw-Hill, Bogotá Colombia.
- FRENCH, Richard. (2007) Open channel hydraulics. Water Resources Publications. Translated to Spanish (1988) Hidráulica de canales abiertos, McGraw-Hill. Mexico