International Strategic Negotiations
Universidad del Norte
Area of Study
Business, International Business, International Relations, International Studies
Taught In English
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units4
Hours & Credits
The 21st Century is a time of International Exchange. Successful countries and businesses, in order to broaden their participation in the worldwide exportable supply, must possess great negotiation skills. For this reason, professionals must be aware of and analyze the external and internal differences and factors that must be taken into consideration so that these businesses are successful.
The course content combines theoretical and practical aspects to know the basic criteria of how to do business in international markets.
The course has four parts. In the first part there will be an introduction to the study of international business. In the second part, negotiation will be applied in the international arena, taking into account all of its stages up until contracting. The third part will be the analysis of the economic and political factors of countries and how the influence of these factors in the moment of decision-making.
The final part of the course has an original characteristic because we will study the profiles of international negotiators as well as the behavior of Colombian negotiators. It is the study of the cultural factor which is key in international negotiations. A final project will be carried out of a simulation of sustainable business in the long term.
The entire theoretic scheme is submitted to the practical by the way of case studies which will permit the student to carry out and analyze concrete situations.
The global economy of the 21st Century demands us to establish the basis upon which international business towards or from Colombia is successful. We must form professionals that know and manage all the basic contractual concepts and analyze the political, economic, cultural, legal, financial and marketing concepts of each negotiating country, to minimize errors and to develop tolerance and respect for that which is different. We should develop the country toward abroad and from abroad, receiving and making foreign investments, driving our national commerce and industry, becoming competitive.
COMPETENCE TO BE DEVELOPED
- Research thinking
- To locate the student in the context of international business, how it is carried out and the analysis of the factors that they must analyze and take into account in the moment of realizing the different types of businesses with people from different cultures.
GENERAL OBJECTIVE OF THE COURSE
This course provides the student with the theoretical fundamentals of the international environment, in which international business takes place, taking into account the accelerated global development of society in the new millennium. In this way the student will be capable, with the strong base in the concepts and the situation of the businesses of today, to be able to confront the challenge of handling business with other cultures, which is one of the relevant points in international business.
Upon completion of the course, students will be able to:
Knowledge (know what to know)
- International Contracting, knowledge of international marketing, finance and logistics, as a complement to successful negotiation
Abilities (know what to do)
- Students should have developed abilities to identify future business plans, acquire knowledge in international business and develop bilingualism.
- Students should know how to manage a strategic and operative private or governmental commercial exchange with countries according to the requirements of international markets.
Attitudes (know what to be)
- Students should have developed the following attitudes: international vision, discipline, permanent learning, research capabilities, and management of variable uncertainty, communication capacity in different places, business association and systemic capacity.
Lecture classes with panels, roundtables, presentations and application workshops
- Students must actively participate. For this reason, we recommend that students read the required material previous to the class in which it will be discussed. Ongoing and updated reading on global business, in specialized magazines of the sector, which, in general, are written in English. Students will make comments and arguments regarding the situation established in the class to analyze different points of view. Generally, the professor will support students in the didactic and technological aids.
- Students, both individually or in groups will present topics in class, which will be accompanied with the presentation and application of examples and multinational cases or agreements between countries. Students will be able to use any type of visual teaching aids to give a good presentation. The style of the presentation, the management of the topic, the presentation of the group and the visual aids are important factors to be considered in the grade
First Exam 25%
Second Exam 25%
Project Work 15%
Final Exam 25%