Universidad del Norte
Area of Study
Engineering Science, Materials Science Engineering, Mechanical Engineering
Taught In English
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units4
Hours & Credits
The studies of internal structure of materials and their correlation with the materials properties are based on the physic and chemistry principles. In the laboratory, test are developed to measure the main mechanical properties of various types of materials used in different fields of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering.
Understand the fundamentals of Science and Engineering Materials that support the performance of the materials in order to give a satisfactory response to engineering problems that require a process of selection, design, characterization and / or new materials development.
- Introduction to Materials Science and Engineering.
- Atomic Structure And Bonding
- Crystal Structures and Crystal Geometry
- Solidification and Crystalline Imperfections in Solids
- Material Properties for the design of structures and components.
- Thermally Activated Processes and Diffusion in solids
- Metals, polymers, ceramics and compounds.
COURSE CONTRIBUTION TO MEETING THE PROFESSIONAL COMPONENT
In the development of engineering activities is very important the use of different materials. This allow to the professionals have a real criteria from initial schemes purely conceptual. This selection of materials must be done with criteria of efficiency, economy and sustainability, among others.
- Smith, William F. Foundations of Materials Science and Engineering, Fourth edition, Mc Graw-Hill, Mexico, 2007. GUIDEBOOK
- Askeland 1, Donald R. The Science and Engineering of Materials, Fourth Edition. International Thompson Editors, USA, 2003.
- Avner, Sydney. Introduction to Physical Metallurgy. Second Edition. McGraw-Hill. USA. 1974.
- Budinski Kenneth. G. y Budinski Michael K. ?Engineering Materials Properties and Selection. Sixth Edition. Prentice Hall.
- Callister William D., Jr. ?Fundamentals of Materials Science and Engineering: An Integrated Approach. Third Edition. John Wiley & Sons Inc., USA, 2008.
- Flinn, Richard A. & Trojan, Paul K. Materiales de Ingeniería y sus aplicaciones, Tercera Edición, Mc Graw-Hill, Colombia, 1989.
- Mangonon Pat L. The Principles of Materials Selection for engineering Design. Prentice Hall, USA, 1999.
- Shackelford, James. Introduct