Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics (STEM)
Universidad del Norte
The Universidad del Norte is one of the top universities in Colombia and the Caribbean region. Institutional internationalization is a priority for the UniNorte, whose civil, electrical, electronics, industrial, mechanical and systems engineering programs have been accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET. ISA students may take courses in English or Spanish alongside Colombian students. The university's U.S. style is both modern and accessible, featuring beautiful tropical plants and resident iguanas. The ISA Barranquilla Office is on the 6th floor of the Engineering Building, which has been recognized for its forward-thinking, creative and sustainable design. Campus amenities include computer labs, study halls, gaming rooms, cafeterias/restaurants, a library and athletic facilities.
Summer 2 2019
Jun 09, 2019 - Jul 13, 2019
Apr 10, 2019
80 - 112 Contact Hours
2.50 Minimum GPA*
- Apply Now
Enroll in ABET-accredited engineering courses in English or Spanish with Colombians at one of the country's most prestigious universities. The civil, electrical, electronics, industrial, mechanical and systems engineering programs at the Universidad del Norte have been accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET. Math and physics courses at the advanced Spanish level are also available.
If you want to take just one STEM course, you may choose your second course from the Spanish Language & Courses with Locals program. Course options include Spanish language, culture or experiential learning courses such as the Research Project course in English or Spanish, which requires the supervision of a faculty member at the host university. All courses are taught by host university faculty at the Universidad del Norte.
Students must have a minimum grade point average of 2.50.
Comprehensive Advising and Support
Comprehensive Health, Safety, and Security Support
Tuition at the Host University
Meals and Laundry Service
Bridging Cultures Program
Full-Time Resident Staff
On-Site ISA Offices
ISA Discovery Model
Official Transcript from the Host University
Professional Development Toolbox
80 - 112
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits
6 - 7
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units
9 - 11
- Course Selection
- The courses below reflect the most current list of courses released by the host university. Language courses can be found at the bottom of the course list. Courses and contact hours are subject to change. Requests for sample syllabi can be made to the Barranquilla Site Specialist.
- Course Credit
- According to ISA policy, students must maintain full-time enrollment status, as determined by their home institutions, for the duration of the program. Credit transfer is ultimately determined by the student’s home university.
- The transcript from the Universidad del Norte will reflect credits for each course listed below. The contact hours for each course will not be reflected on the transcript, but are listed below to assist with credit transfer. Please be in touch with your home university regarding credit transfer for this program.
- Placement Exam
- Students enrolling in language courses (e.g. Advanced Spanish, High Intermediate Spanish, Business Spanish, etc.) must take a placement exam before arrival. A language exam is not required for courses with locals in Spanish if the student has taken or tested out of at least four levels of college-level Spanish.
- Experiential Learning Courses
- Students interested in the Research Project course must submit a research proposal and a resume (CV). Please contact the ISA Barranquilla team for more information.
- Language Requirements
- ISA recommends that students who have not completed or tested out of a minimum of one semester (two quarters) of college-level Spanish enroll in a language course during their program. English courses are limited primarily to the fields of Business and Engineering, so be prepared with viable alternates in the event of a cancellation or scheduling conflict.
- Courses with Locals
- Students must be at the Advanced Spanish language level or above in order to enroll in courses with locals instructed in Spanish.
- Please see the course catalog, linked below in the Additional Courses with Locals section, for more course options.
- In rare cases, course language of instruction may change from English to Spanish.
select allclear all
- Courses and course hours of instruction are subject to change.
- Eligibility for courses may be subject to a placement exam and/or pre-requisites.
- Please note that some courses with locals have recommended prerequisite courses. It is the student's responsibility to consult any recommended prerequisites prior to enrolling in their course.
Support & Funding
Funding Your ISA Program
As an ISA participant, you will have the opportunity to apply for scholarships and grants that can be applied directly to assist with your study abroad programs. ISA offers over $1,000,000 in scholarships and grants each year. To see what opportunities are available, please visit the Funding Your Program page.View all Funding Options
Living in ISA housing will give you the opportunity to experience aspects of the Colombian lifestyle that are inaccessible to the average visitor to Colombia. With an open-mind and flexibility, the experience of living in another culture can be highly rewarding.
We strive to match your housing preferences with our available accommodations, however, housing preference requests cannot be guaranteed.
Host families are best if you are seeking full linguistic and cultural immersion during your time abroad. Each host family has been carefully selected by ISA's resident staff in order to best accommodate your needs and to ensure a comfortable living situation. Homestays will provide breakfast, lunch and dinner every day except Sundays and laundry service once a week. While students typically have their own room, you might share a room with another ISA student of the same gender.
You may elect to secure housing independently. If you select this option, you will receive a discount equal to the housing portion of the program price.
THERE’S MORE TO DISCOVER WITH ISA
Cartagena & Islas del Rosario
Stroll down cobblestone streets and admire the well-preserved colonial architecture of Cartagena, the historic walled city and UNESCO World Heritage site once home to Gabriel García Márquez. Enjoy a traditional Colombian lunch on lslas del Rosario and go kayaking or participate in an optional activity such as an ecological walk or snorkeling.
Tayrona National Park & Minca
Hike or ride horseback along a breathtaking coastal trail to reach Cabo San Juan, one of Colombia's most beautiful beaches. Spend the night sleeping in a hammock before visiting the village of Minca, located in the Sierra Nevada mountain range, to learn how organic coffee is made at Finca La Victoria and swim at the Marinka waterfalls.
Totumo Mud Volcano
Take a revitalizing mud bath inside of the popular tourist destination el Volcán del Totumo. According to local legend, the volcano once