Health Care Courses in English & Medical Spanish
Veritas University is an independent private university, fully accredited by the Costa Rican Ministry of Education and authorized by the National Council of Private Higher Education (Consejo Nacional de Enseñanza Superior Privada, or CONESUP). The University is renowned in Costa Rica for its design, art, architecture and photography programs. Additionally, it prioritizes internationalization and welcomes several hundred international students during any given semester or summer to study through its International Programs Department (DPI). ISA students have access to all of the university's amenities, including computer labs, wireless internet, a library, a cafeteria, and photography labs and studios, should their courses require them. Staff and faculty at the university are easily accessible to students. Spanish language and elective professors provide students with office hours and will also make appointments for special meetings.
Summer 3 2020
Late May, 2020 - Late Jun, 2020
Mar 25, 2020
128 - 140 Contact Hours
2.50 Minimum GPA*
- Apply Now
Open to students at all levels of Spanish, this program is an excellent opportunity for students who are pursuing a medical career-track and wish to increase their Spanish proficiency. The classroom setting will provide you with practical communication experience in Spanish, along with a focus in health care and medical terminology. Courses will be taught by the faculty at the Universidad Veritas, and you will be learning among fellow international students.
In order to participate in this program, you must take at least one Health Care elective instructed in English. If you do not intend to take a health care elective, you should enroll in the Spanish Language, Liberal Arts & Environmental Studies program. You will complete a placement exam in order to determine your language level.
Students may add on additional service weeks and earn additional academic credit. Please speak with ISA staff about adding on additional weeks and credit.
You can combine the Spring + Fall OR Fall + Spring sessions at a discounted price. For more information about this option, please contact your ISA Costa Rica Program Manager.
Students must have a minimum grade point average of 2.50.
MINIMUM ADMISSIONS PREREQUISITES
There is no language prerequisite for this program.
To participate in this program, you must be 18 years of age or older.
Comprehensive Advising and Support
Comprehensive Health, Safety, and Security Support
Tuition at the Host University
Meals and Laundry Service
Bridging Cultures Program
Full-Time Resident Staff
On-Site ISA Offices
ISA Discovery Model
Official Transcript from the Host University
Professional Development Toolbox
128 - 140
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits
8 - 9
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units
12 - 13.5
- All students must take one 80-hour Spanish Language course and one of the Health Care Electives listed below.
- 60-hour electives offered by the university may include a field study component at no extra cost to the student.
Course Level Recommendations:
- ISA offers course level recommendations for the courses listed below. Please note that the course level recommendations are based on the host university course level recommendations and course codes and are only recommendations.
- At Veritas University, course codes are composed of two parts: an alpha code indicating the discipline or field of study and a numeric code that indicates the type of course and level. The first number indicates the level or degree of complexity of ongoing research:
- Courses that start with a 1 are introductory courses or beginner level language acquisition courses.
- Courses that start with a 2 are courses that require more hours of independent study and are intermediate level language acquisition courses.
- Courses that start with a 3 are courses that require research and presentations, have field trips or visits requiring reports, and are advanced level language acquisition courses.
- Courses that start with a 4 have a very similar level to level 3 courses, but usually are "specialty areas" within a discipline.
- These ISA recommendations are intended to facilitate the determination of course equivalencies by advisers and credential evaluators at participants' U.S. home institutions.
Requests for sample syllabi can be made to your San José Site Specialist.
select allclear all
- Availability of courses is based on enrollment numbers. All students should seek pre-approval for alternate courses in the event of last minute class cancellations
Support & Funding
SAN JOSÉ TEAM
Student Services Coordinator, Costa Rica
María Belén Jiménez
Resident Director, Costa Rica Programs, Costa Rica
Director of Latin America Operations, Costa Rica
Service Learning Coordinator, Costa Rica
Funding Your ISA Program
As an ISA participant, you have the opportunity to apply for scholarships and grants that can be applied directly to assist with your study abroad programs. ISA offers over $1,000,000 in scholarships and grants each year. To see what opportunities are available, please visit the Scholarships and Grants page.View all Funding Options
ISA San Jose homestays allow students to experience aspects of Costa Rican or "tico" lifestyle that are inaccessible to the average visitor. All housing is located in middle to upper class neighborhoods near the Universidad Veritas and offers glimpses of everyday life with easy access to city amenities. Homestays include breakfast and dinner every day (except for excursion days) and laundry service once a week. In your homestay you will have your own bedroom, although there may be another ISA student living in the same homestay. This will be a unique opportunity to immerse yourself in a new place and live as a local would, so take advantage, immerse yourself in the "pura vida", and let yourself become a Tico!
You may opt to secure housing independently. If you select this option, you will receive a discount equal to the housing portion of the program price. By choosing to opt out of ISA housing, you are responsible for researching and reserving housing, and paying all fees, deposits, and rent directly to the housing facility that you choose.
THERE’S MORE TO DISCOVER WITH ISA
Arenal Volcano is located near the agricultural community of La Fortuna, where it dominates the village landscape. You will have the opportunity to tour a local sustainable farm, relax in the area's hot springs, gaze upon glowing hot boulders descending from the volcano in the night, and enjoy optional activities, such as horseback riding and hiking through the rainforest.
On this excursion, you will have the opportunity to visit Carara national park, a famous national park in Costa Rica that is known for its rich biodiversity. You will also spend the night in a hotel on a private reserve on the beach, where you can enjoy the spectacular views, free activities, and optional tours.