Universidad de las Artes
Located in the Cubanacán neighborhood, the Universidad de las Artes (ISA) is one of the most unique universities and architectural achievements following the Cuban Revolution. Once a country club that was frequently visited by Communist Party officials, Ernesto (Che) Guevara had the idea to build a school that would nurture the talents of the young who were fueled by the arts.
During this critical time of innovation, it was decided that the architectural design should depict this reinvented vision of society. This blank canvas of a project was given to three modernism-inspired architects. Each of them brought their own specializations and aesthetics, which can be seen in the structures still standing to this day. You will have the opportunity to take Spanish Language & Culture courses in one of the leading institutions in the arts.
Summer 2 2019
May 18, 2019 - Jun 01, 2019
Feb 15, 2019
45 Contact Hours
2.50 Minimum GPA*
- Apply Now
Designed for those interested in soaking in as much Cuban culture as possible within a two-week time frame, this program is a perfect fit! During this short-term program you will enroll in one Cuban Culture course instructed in English. If you're looking for opportunities to extend your time abroad, you may want to consider adding the Summer 1: Spanish Language, Literature & Cuban Culture program. All courses are taught by host university faculty at the Universidad de las Artes (ISA). Classmates are other ISA students.
Students must have a minimum grade point average of 2.50.
MINIMUM ADMISSIONS PREREQUISITES
There is no language prerequisite for this program.
Comprehensive Advising and Support
Comprehensive Health, Safety, and Security Support
Tuition at the Host University
Meals and Laundry Service
Bridging Cultures Program
ISA Discovery Model
Official Transcript from the Host University
Professional Development Toolbox
Full-Time Resident Staff
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units
- Students must enroll in the Cuban Culture course, 45 contact hours, during their two-week summer program. This program is open to students at all language levels as the Cuban Culture course is instructed in English.
- Course availability is based on enrollment numbers.
- Requests for a sample syllabus can be made to the Cuba Site Specialist.
- Credits earned vary according to the policies of the students' home institutions. According to ISA policy and possible visa requirements, students must maintain full-time enrollment status, as determined by their home institutions, for the duration of the program.
- The transcript from the Universidad de las Artes will reflect contact hours for each course listed below. Please be in touch with your home university regarding credit transfer for this program.
- ISA does not recommend that students sign up for online courses through their home university. Please keep in mind that uninterrupted internet connectivity is difficult to obtain while in Havana.
Support & Funding
Funding Your ISA Program
As an ISA participant, you will have the opportunity to apply for scholarships and grants that can be applied directly to assist with your study abroad programs. ISA offers over $1,000,000 in scholarships and grants each year. To see what opportunities are available, please visit the Funding Your Program page.View all Funding Options
Living in ISA housing will give you the opportunity to experience aspects of the Cuban lifestyle that are inaccessible to the average visitor to Cuba. With an open-mind and flexibility, the experience of living in another culture can be highly rewarding.
We strive to match your housing preferences with our available accommodations, however, housing preference requests cannot be guaranteed.
Host families are best if you are seeking full linguistic and cultural immersion during your time abroad. Host families in Havana are also known as "Casa Particulares." Each host family has been carefully selected by ISA's resident staff in order to best accommodate your needs and to ensure a comfortable living situation. Homestays will provide breakfast seven days a week and laundry service once a week. You will typically share a room with another ISA student of the same gender. Single rooms may be available for an additional fee.
THERE’S MORE TO DISCOVER WITH ISA