Spatial Information Systems
Gold Coast, Australia
Area of Study
Geography, Information Sciences
Taught In English
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3 - 4
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units4.5 - 6
Hours & Credits
This subject introduces, explores and applies fundamental concepts of spatial analysis through the use of Geographic Information Systems (GIS). The subject provides hands-on experience in how GIS may be used to analyse, visualise and communicate patterns of complex information. GIS problem-solving challenges and illustrations of proposed solutions are presented to students in natural and built environment contexts. Students learn the application and use of contemporary GIS software in a laboratory environment and engage in real world problem-solving via Australian and international examples.Learning Objectives
1. To comprehend and apply the principles of spatial analysis and modelling in real-world problem solving, using data linked to location.
2. To understand and implement spatial analysis tools using modern geographic information system software.
3. To understand concepts of data collection, data entry, and spatial data analysis for real-world problem solving.
4. To explore the breadth and depth of geographic information system analysis in built and natural environments.
5. To articulate and demonstrate an understanding of concepts and applications of geographic information systems.
Courses and course hours of instruction are subject to change.
Eligibility for courses may be subject to a placement exam and/or pre-requisites.
Credits earned vary according to the policies of the students' home institutions. According to ISA policy and possible visa requirements, students must maintain full-time enrollment status, as determined by their home institutions, for the duration of the program.