Gold Coast, Australia
Area of Study
Genetics, Molecular Biology
Taught In English
BMED11-207 Medical and Molecular Genetics
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3 - 4
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units4.5 - 6
Hours & Credits
In this subject, students will learn about the regulation of gene expression, the human genome and the techniques that are available to study genes. Students will be introduced to the tools of bioinformatics and use these to analyse human genes and genetic diseases. Advanced studies in the molecular biological techniques used to investigate patterns of gene expression will be an important part of this subject. This subject will interest students who wish to undertake a career in a research or a biomedical laboratory setting.
1. Demonstrate knowledge of the techniques that molecular biologists use to manipulate and analyse nucleic acids.
2. Demonstrate knowledge of how molecular biology is used in diagnostic laboratories for the detection and monitoring of disease.
3. Carry out DNA/RNA isolation and analysis methods including PCR, genotyping by RFLP, DNA sequencing, RT-qPCR and FISH
4. Demonstrate understanding of the Human Genome Project and associated bioinformatics.
5. Demonstrate an understanding of associated molecular biology approaches including recombinant DNA technologies, stem cells and gene therapy.
6. Obtain, interpret and synthesise information from background reading and use it to effectively supplement lecture notes.
7. Efficiently and effectively communicate scientific knowledge, experimental results, and analyses, in both oral and written formats.