Engineering Systems Design 1
University of Melbourne
Area of Study
Bioengineering, Biological Systems Engineering, Engineering Science, Systems Engineering
Taught In English
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3 - 4
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units4 - 6
Hours & Credits
OverviewAIMSEngineering Systems Design 1 introduces students to the world of engineering through a mix of design projects, interactive workshops and lectures. This subject centres on the engineering method, the approach to problem solving and engineering design that makes engineers unique. The subject will prepare students for an exciting and rigorous engineering education that will allow them to serve an increasingly complex society.This subject features designing a solution to a real-world challenge using skills from disciplines such as fluid mechanics, chemical engineering, water treatment, aerospace engineering, mathematical modelling and computer simulation.INDICATIVE CONTENTThe engineering profession, engineering disciplines, problem solving, engineering method, mathematical modelling using appropriate software tools, data gathering, data analysis, fluid mechanics, conservation of material and energy in engineering processes, mass transport in two phase flow, report writing, communication skills.INTENDED LEARNING OUTCOMES (ILO)On completion of this subject the student is expected to:Explain the importance of engineers and the place of engineering in societyApply basic knowledge of fluid mechanics, chemical engineering and aerospace systems to solve design problems across multiple engineering disciplinesIdentify the nature of a technical problem and make appropriate simplifying assumptions, in order to achieve a solutionDevelop and construct mathematical, physical and conceptual models of situations, systems and devices, and utilise such models for purposes of analysis and designAnalyse possible alternative engineering approaches and evaluate their advantages and disadvantages in terms of functionality, cost, sustainability and all other factorsDemonstrate competency in current tools for analysis, simulation, visualisation, synthesis and design, particularly computer-based tools and packages.Assessment:Weekly subject reflective journal (10% in total, Hurdle requirement*). Intended Learning Outcome (ILO) 1 is addressed in the reflective journalShort quizzes, held during semester (5% in total, Hurdle requirement*). Addresses ILOs 2 and 6Team online blog, submitted three times during semester requiring 10 hours of work (10% in total**). Addresses ILO 1In-class team-based project assessments due throughout semester (15% in total**). Addresses ILOs 2, 3, 4 and 6Two hour written examination held in exam period (25%, Hurdle requirement*). Addresses ILOs 2,3 and 6A written end of semester group report, 40 pages in length (including diagrams and calculations), due in the exam period (35%**). Addresses ILOs 2 - 6.* The indicated individual assessment items (totalling 40%) are a combined hurdle requirement.** Students work in teams of 5-6 on these indicated assessments and thus the workload is expected to be divided equally within the team.
Courses and course hours of instruction are subject to change.
Credits earned vary according to the policies of the students' home institutions. According to ISA policy and possible visa requirements, students must maintain full-time enrollment status, as determined by their home institutions, for the duration of the program.