Political Management by President Donald Trump
University of Auckland
Auckland, New Zealand
Area of Study
Government, Human Resources, International Affairs, International Politics, Leadership, Management Science, Media Studies, Political Science, Research
Taught In English
It is expected students will have completed at least two full years at a four year instituion at time of participation.
- Ability to learn new cross-disciplinary concepts quickly
- Research skills to identify a wide range of sources on the case study
- High analytical ability to be able to process and synthesise a wide range of material quickly
- Able to work independently and produce written work on time
- Strong initiative but also responsive to supervision and advice
- Familarity with US politics
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3 - 4
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units1
Hours & Credits
Political management is about planning, organising, HR, leading and reviewing and affects the ability of governments to achieve their goals. It includes issues such as how to create an effective strategic plan and how to appoint and manage staff in the White House. This scholarship will conduct a case study of the effectiveness of political management by President Donald Trump. It will research sources on the case related to political management including primary sources such as presidential/White House documents, policies, speeches and websites, public opinion data, and secondary sources including media reports. It will then apply new theoretical concepts created by the supervisor to those sources to provide analysis of the extent to which Trump’s use of political management meets the theory.
The main goal is to collect and analyse a diverse range of sources on political management by Trump. This will be broken down into:
Review and comprehend theory about political management including:
- Planning: Vision, goals, plans
- Organising: structure, culture and communication
- Political HR: recruitment, promotion, training
- Leading: power, influence, adaptation
- Reviewing: reflection and correction
2. Identify sources related to the political management by President Donald Trump such as
- primary sources: presidential/White House documents, policies, plans, reports, speeches, website and videos
- public opinion data
- media articles, including quotes from the president, senior politicians and staff
3. Analyse these sources against the political management theory and write a 6000 word paper ‘A case study of President Donald Trump’s political management’
4. Work with the supervisor to build an online resource centre/coursebuilder website with political management related lists of reading and sources to stimulate further research
Courses and course hours of instruction are subject to change.
Eligibility for courses may be subject to a placement exam and/or pre-requisites.
Please note that some courses with locals have recommended prerequisite courses. It is the student's responsibility to consult any recommended prerequisites prior to enrolling in their course.