University of Otago
Dunedin, New Zealand
Area of Study
Accounting, Business, Business Management, Finance
Taught In English
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3 - 4
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units4 - 6
Hours & Credits
Basic financial and management accounting.
Lectures and Tutorials
Upon successful completion of BSNS 107, students should be able to:
- Outline the main accounting concepts underlying the preparation of financial statements
- Explain the nature and purpose of financial statements
- Recognise, interpret and explain the information presented in the basic financial statements, namely: income statement, balance sheet, statement of movements in equity and cash flow statement
- Detect important relationships among the key items presented in the basic financial statements
- Prepare, interpret and explain both a cash budget and a revenue and expenditure budget for a business organisation
- Identify and explain different cost concepts
- Make sound decisions based on cost estimates prepared using different cost concepts and cost allocation methods
- Understand ethics within a business context
- Comment on trends and issues in Accounting
Courses and course hours of instruction are subject to change.
Eligibility for courses may be subject to a placement exam and/or pre-requisites.
Some courses may require additional fees.
Credits earned vary according to the policies of the students' home institutions. According to ISA policy and possible visa requirements, students must maintain full-time enrollment status, as determined by their home institutions, for the duration of the program.
Please reference fall and spring course lists as not all courses are taught during both semesters.
Availability of courses is based on enrollment numbers. All students should seek pre-approval for alternate courses in the event of last minute class cancellations
Please note that some courses with locals have recommended prerequisite courses. It is the student's responsibility to consult any recommended prerequisites prior to enrolling in their course.