Victoria University of Wellington
Wellington, New Zealand
Area of Study
Taught In English
ACCY 001, 111
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3 - 4
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units4 - 6
Hours & Credits
A preparer's perspective on particular areas of financial reporting, including current New Zealand GAAP and recognition of revenue, assets and liabilities.
At the end of this course, students should be able to:
1. Explain the nature of formal and informal regulatory frameworks shaping accounting in New Zealand;
2. Explain the centrality of assets to the accounting system and their interrelationships to other elements including liabilities, equity, revenue and expenses;
3. Describe and explain the application of asset-specific New Zealand IFRSs relating to identification, recognition and measurement;
4. Explain the associated movements required by the asset-specific New Zealand IFRS including depreciation, impairment, and gains and losses;
5. Describe and explain the nature of common liabilities including provisions, pension and tax liabilities, debentures, and the nature of contingencies.
10 Quizzes 5%/each
3 Assignments 20%
Courses and course hours of instruction are subject to change.
Eligibility for courses may be subject to a placement exam and/or pre-requisites.
Some courses may require additional fees.
Credits earned vary according to the policies of the students' home institutions. According to ISA policy and possible visa requirements, students must maintain full-time enrollment status, as determined by their home institutions, for the duration of the program.
Please reference fall and spring course lists as not all courses are taught during both semesters.
Availability of courses is based on enrollment numbers. All students should seek pre-approval for alternate courses in the event of last minute class cancellations
Please note that some courses with locals have recommended prerequisite courses. It is the student's responsibility to consult any recommended prerequisites prior to enrolling in their course.