Semester / Trimester
Culture, Portuguese Language & Business -Universidade do Sul de Santa Catarina
The Culture, Portuguese Language, Business & Courses with Locals program is open to all Portuguese proficiency levels. The program offers students business and cultural studies courses taught in English as well as courses with locals, in a variety of subjects, taught in Portuguese. Course topics (for courses in English) include studies on ethnicity and society, consumer behavior, global economy, intercultural development and contemporary cultural studies. In addition, students may select from Portuguese language courses at the basic, intermediate and advanced levels, as well as a Portuguese for Spanish Speakers course. Students may also enroll in elective courses instructed in Portuguese at all levels taken alogside international students.
Students with an advanced level of Portuguese may select from courses with local students in various departments at the host university. Courses with locals are mostly 72 contact hours each and are taught at several campuses across the greater Florianópolis area.
All courses are taught at the Universidade do Sul de Santa Catarina by local university professors. ISA primarily take classes alongside ISA students.
Gap Year students are also eligible for this program. For more information, click here.
Please note that a student visa is required for all ISA Brazil semester programs. Please reference the Student Visa & Embassy page for more information. Applying for a visa could require out of state travel.
Semester + Semester Programs Available: Students may participate in the Spring + Fall OR the Fall + Spring sessions of this program by selecting their two semesters of interest when submitting the initial ISA online application. For more information about this option, please contact your Brazil Site Specialist.
TOP FIVE REASONS TO STUDY ABROAD IN FLORIANÓPOLIS
1. Enjoy the Island of Magic - Florianópolis is surrounded by 42 breathtaking beaches, spend a semester or summer abroad in paradise!
2. Carnival - Interested in a cultural experience unlike any other? Visit Brazil in the spring and enjoy the vibrant music, flashy costumes, and lively spirit of Brazilians during the Carnival holiday.
3. Stay Active - A coastal city, surrounded by rolling mountains, Atlantic rainforest and soft white sand dunes, Florianópolis is perfect for those who love the outdoors. Popular activities include: surfing, paragliding, sandboarding, and hiking.
4. Friendliest City - Enjoy your program in one of the friendliest cities in Latin America, ranked as such in previous years, Florianópolis is welcoming to all of its visitors.
5. Money Matters - Study abroad for a semester in our most affordably priced program around the world!
Students must have a minimum grade point average of 2.50.
Minimum Admissions Prerequisites
There is no language prerequisite for this program.
Please note that students who would like to enroll in courses with local Brazilians must have completed at least four semesters/six quarters of college-level Portuguese.
Courses and course hours of instruction are subject to change.
Eligibility for courses may be subject to a placement exam and/or pre-requisites.
Some courses may require additional fees.
Credits earned vary according to the policies of the students' home institutions. According to ISA policy and possible visa requirements, students must maintain full-time enrollment status, as determined by their home institutions, for the duration of the program.
Availability of courses is based on enrollment numbers. All students should seek pre-approval for alternate courses in the event of last minute class cancellations
Click on a session to view details!
Currently Accepting Applications!$7,950 (IFPF1118)