International Studies Abroad ®est. 1987

Student Visa and Embassy Information

U.S. Citizens
The UK government has now created two categories of student visas. Please read each category THOROUGHLY to decipher which visa you will need for your time in England.

1. Short-Term Study Visa
Short-Term Study Visas are issued for free upon arrival in the UK, and allow students to study for a maximum of 6 months.
You ARE eligible for the student visitor visa if:

  • You will be in the UK for less than 6 months
  • You do NOT plan to work or pursue an internship in the UK during your stay
  • You will not be extending your stay beyond 6 months
2. Tier 4 (General) Student Visa
Tier 4 (General) Student Visas are issued PRIOR to entry in the UK while you are still in the US, and allow students to study for more than 6 months or participate in a university sponsored internship. Please note there is an extra fee for the Tier 4 visa.
Students are required to apply for a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa if any of the following apply:
  • Your length of stay in the UK is 6 months or more
  • You will be participating in an internship in the UK
  • You will be participating in paid employment in the UK
Non-U.S. Citizens
If you are not a U.S. citizen, you will need to check with your local embassy or consulate to verify entry requirements for the United Kingdom. As these requirements vary baed on citizenship, non-U.S. citizens may not be permitted to travel to the United Kingdom without a visa or outside of their visa dates. Also, visa fees for non-U.S. citizens may differ so please be sure to check your specific consulate's website for the most up to date information.

*If you are under 18 years of age when applying for your visa, additional paperwork may be required. Please contact the consulate immediately for more information.

Note: Embassy and consulate contact information is subject to change without notice. Please refer to the website of the embassy or consulate to verify information.


In order to find contact information for your specific consulate, please choose the state or region of your permanent residence from the dropdown box below, and click submit to continue.


  • Phone:
    +44 (20) 7499-9000
  • Fax:
    +44 (20) 7495-5012
  • Street Address:
    24 Grosvenor Square
    London, W1A 1AE
    United Kingdom
  • Monday - Friday
    8:30 am - 5:30 pm

London, England

Embassy of the United States in England


General information...

The U.S. Embassy works to maintain and broaden this relationship which is characterized by successful cooperation across a wide range of political, economic and security issues. The Ambassador to the Court of St. James's is the personal representative of the President, and oversees the Embassy. Representatives from the State Department and 26 other U.S. government agencies manage portfolios concerning economic, commercial and agricultural affairs, consular and immigration issues, customs, transportation, and law enforcement activities, as well as political and military relations, and public affairs.

  • Phone:
    +1 (202) 588-7800
  • Fax:
    +1 (202) 588-6500
  • Street Address:
    3100 Massachusetts Avenue,
    Washington DC, 20008

Washington DC, United States

Embassy of England in the United States

Email: ku.vog.ocf@ihsaw


General information...

Entry clearance will be required for nationals of the following countries who intend to stay in the UK for longer than six months: Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea and the USA. Please contact your nearest UK Overseas Mission that offers a visa service for more information.