International Studies Abroad ®est. 1987

Student Visa and Embassy Information

U.S. Citizens
If your academic program in Japan is 90 days or more, you are REQUIRED to obtain a student visa from the Japanese government. Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months AFTER your expected departure date from Japan, and it will physically remain at the Consulate until your student visa is approved, so keep this in mind if you plan to travel before the program.

You MUST apply for your student visa through the Japanese Consulate with jurisdiction over your permanent state of residence. You should consult your Consulate General's website immediately to obtain a student visa application, a list of requirements, and to verify the application process and timetable. You may apply in person or by mail, based on the specific requirements from your Consulate. If you submit your visa application by mail we strongly recommend that you use certified mail so that you may track it later.

If your academic program in Japan is less than 90 days (summer programs), you may enter Japan without a visa, as long as you have a valid passport. At the airport they will stamp your passport with a visa good for a 90 day stay. However, please note that this visa is not extendable.

You should apply for your visa at least 30 days prior to departure but no more than 90 days prior to departure. You are ultimately responsible for securing your visa.

*If you are under 18 years of age when applying for your visa, additional paperwork may be required. Please contact the consulate immediately for more information.

Non-U.S. Citizens
If you are not a U.S. citizen, you will need to check with your local embassy or consulate to verify entry requirements for Japan. As these requirements vary based on citizenship, non-U.S. citizens may not be permitted to travel to Japan without a visa or outside of their visa dates. Also, visa fees for non-U.S. citizens may differ so please be sure to check your specific consulate's website for the most up to date information.

Note: Embassy and consulate contact information is subject to change without notice. Please refer to the website of the embassy or consulate to verify information.


In order to find contact information for your specific consulate, please choose the state or region of your permanent residence from the dropdown box below, and click submit to continue.