International Studies Abroad ®est. 1987

Student Visa and Embassy Information

U.S. Citizens:

Peruvian consulates have informed us that all students are to enter as a tourist. This will NOT require you to visit a Peruvian consulate before you depart, if you are a US citizen. When exiting the airport, custom officials are authorized to stamp up to 183 days to each tourist. When you enter the country, you will need to state how many days you will be in-country (as a tourist), and they will stamp your passport for that number of days.

All semester Lima students (not Cusco students) may opt to change their tourist visa to a student visa once they are in-country. Summer students do not usually change their status. The Peruvian immigration office will charge additional fees to make this change. Our staff in Peru can accompany you to the immigration office in Lima, located on Avenida España, if you would like to obtain a student visa. However, please keep in mind that it will not be necessary to change your status, and our Peruvian universities (UP and PUCP) have confirmed that you will not need to change your status to a student visa to enroll or to continue in classes in Peru.

For Academic Year students, there is an exception. Academic Year students will enter as tourists and are REQUIRED to change to a student visa in-country, as it's not possible to extend the tourist visa past the allotted 183 days. Year students will need to renew their student visa during their stay in Peru.

Non-U.S. Citizens:

Please note that if you are not a U.S. citizen, you should contact your Consulate to verify specific entry requirements. As these requirements vary based on citizenship, non-U.S. citizens may not be permitted to travel to Peru without a visa or outside of their visa dates. Also, visa fees for non-U.S. citizens may differ so please be sure to check your specific consulate's website for the most up to date information.

Note: Embassy and consulate contact information is subject to change without notice. Please refer to the website of the embassy or consulate to verify information.


In order to find contact information for your specific consulate, please choose the state or region of your permanent residence from the dropdown box below, and click submit to continue.


  • Phone:
  • Fax:
  • Street Address:
    Avenida La Encalada cdra. 17 s/n
    Surco, Lima 33, PERU

Lima, Peru

U.S. Embassy in Peru

  • Phone:
    (202) 833-9860 to 9869
  • Fax:
    (202) 659-8124
  • Street Address:
    1700 Massachusetts Ave., N.W
    Washington D.C. 20036

Washington DC, United States

Embassy of Peru in the United States