International Studies Abroad ®est. 1987

Student Visa and Embassy Information

If your academic program in South Korea is 90 days or more, you are REQUIRED to obtain a student visa before the start day of your program. Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months AFTER your expected departure date from South Korea, and it will physically remain at the Consulate until your D-2 visa is approved. Keep this in mind if you plan to travel before the program.

You must apply for your student visa through the Korean Consulate with jurisdiction over your permanent state of residence (see consulate link below). You can apply for your D-2 visa in person or by mail. If you apply in person, some Korean consulates require appointments to be made and have limited spots.

You should consult your Korean consulate's website immediately to obtain a student visa application, a list of requirements, and to verify the application process and timetable. You are ultimately responsible for securing your visa.

As of November 17, 2008, students may enter South Korea for academic programs that are less than 90 days without the corresponding student visa.

*If you are under 18 years of age when applying for your visa, additional paperwork may be required. Please contact the consulate immediately for more information.

If you are not a U.S. citizen, you will need to check with your local embassy or consulate to verify entry requirements for South Korea. As these requirements vary based on citizenship, non-U.S. citizens may not be permitted to travel to South Korea without a visa or outside of their visa dates. Also, visa fees for non-U.S. citizens may differ so please be sure to check your specific consulate's website for the most up to date information. You are ultimately responsible for securing your visa.

Special note for Chinese citizens studying in the US:
due to visa requirements, your D-2 visa may only be issued in a Korean consulate that has jurisdiction over your school address in the US. If you plan on returning to China before the start of your academic program in South Korea, you should immediately contact a Korean consulate in China to verify if they will process your visa. Otherwise, you may have to ship your passport and visa application back to the US.

Note: Embassy and consulate contact information is subject to change without notice. Please refer to the website of the embassy or consulate to verify information.


In order to find contact information for your specific consulate, please choose the state or region of your permanent residence from the dropdown box below, and click submit to continue.


  • Street Address:
    U.S. Consulate in Busan, Korea
    #993, Joongangdae-Ro, Busanjin-Gu,
    Room 612 (Lotte Gold Rose)
    Busan, Korea 47209

Busan, South Korea

U.S. Consulate Busan, South Korea

  • Phone:
  • Fax:
  • Street Address:
    Seoul, Korea
    188 Sejong-daero, Jongno-gu,
    Seoul, Korea

Seoul, South Korea

Embassy of the United States in Seoul, Korea

  • Phone:
  • Fax:
  • Street Address:
    2450 Massachusetts Avenue N.W. Washington, D.C. 20008
  • Monday - Friday
    9:30 am - 12:00 pm
    Monday - Friday
    1:30 pm - 5:00 pm

Washington, D.C., United States

Embassy of the Republic of Korea in the United States