Adapted Physical Activity 1
Dublin City University
Area of Study
Health and Exercise Science, Health Science
Taught In English
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits2
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units3
Hours & Credits
This module introduces students to the area of adapted physical activity. The module will focus on students perception of disability and the theories associated with the disability movement. Students will examine legislation and policies, their impact on physical activity participation, as well as the history of sports participation for people with disabilities.
1. Critique societal perceptions of disability
2. Describe the different models of disability and how they impact on physical activity participation
3. Examine existing legislation and policies in Ireland and how they affect the lives of people with disabilities, with specific reference to physical activity/sport participation
4. Recognise the importance of adaptation variables when delivering physical activity programmes for people with disabilities
5. Describe the history of the disability sport movement
6. Demonstrate the following transferable skills: oral and written communication skills; intellectual skills of analysis, synthesis and problem solving; independent learning and group work skills.