Dublin City University
Area of Study
Taught In English
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits2
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units3
Hours & Credits
An embedded system is a special purpose computer system that is designed to carry out a specific task. This module will introduce the student to embedded systems, focusing in particular on microcontroller based embedded systems. The ultimate aim of the module is to provide the student with the hardware and software skills necessary to create microcontroller based embedded systems for use in real world applications.
1. Describe the operation of a known microcontroller, or a previously unseen microcontroller from the same family, based on an evaluation of the relevant datasheet.
2. Design bespoke, microcontroller based, embedded systems hardware.
3. Develop custom software and algorithms for use in microcontroller based embedded systems.
4. Use optimisation techniques such as lookup tables in order to create more efficient programs.
5. Write hybrid microcontroller programs that combine the benefits of using a high-level language with benefits associated with using assembly language.