French Intermediate Oral Skills
Dublin City University
Area of Study
French, French Culture
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits2
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units3
Hours & Credits
While continuing to consolidate written comprehension and production, the focus in this module is on oral comprehension and expression. Authentic multimodal resources are used to enhance comprehension skills and to further deepen the students’ understanding of contemporary French-speaking cultures. Students will engage in activities such as class discussions on current affairs, individual research on cultural issues, listening comprehension, pronunciation work, and class presentations.
1. Interact with a degree of fluency & spontaneity, displaying adequate oral comprehension in conversation, and take an active part in discussion in familiar contexts, accounting for and sustaining his/her views
2. Understand extended speech and lectures and most TV news and current affairs programmes, and follow complex lines of argument, provided the topic is reasonably familiar
3. Present orally clear, detailed descriptions on a wide range of subjects related to his/her field of interest and be able to explain a viewpoint on a topical issue giving the advantages and disadvantages of various options, privileging analysis and discussion over simple presentation of facts
4. Show an awareness of the various language registers and use them adequately in a variety of contexts
5. Show a relatively high level of grammatical control and a grasp of complex syntax to enable full comprehension and confident expression in a variety of contexts
6. Display adequate proficiency in the pronunciation of French and understand the phonemes used in French