Psalms, Wisdom and Prophets
Dublin City University
Area of Study
Taught In English
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units5
Hours & Credits
This module will explore various aspects of the psalms (prayer, poetry, type, theological themes) and prophets (nature, development, historical setting, major themes), as well as giving students an appreciation of the Jewish wisdom tradition (Proverbs, Job, Qoheleth).
1. Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the psalms as expressions of the religious life of Israel, as well as how these are examples of Israel's poetry.
2. Identify and reflect upon the psalms as a resource for faith and life within the Christian tradition.
3. Argue and reference the particular point of view of the individual prophets within the social and historical contexts in which they were active.
4. Critically reflect upon the main themes of the preaching of the classical prophets in the light of their own life experience.
5. Engage in personal theological reflection on the riches of the Jewish Wisdom tradition in a manner that is appreciative of the wisdom of other traditions.