Solid State Physics I
Dublin City University
Area of Study
Taught In English
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits2
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units3
Hours & Credits
To introduce the student to the structure of crystalline solids and diffraction techniques for structure determination. To provide an understanding of bonding in solids. To introduce the student to the concept of band structure. To provide a basic grounding in thermal, electrical optical and magnetic properties of solids.
1. Describe the different types of bonding in solids.
2. Explain the concepts of unit cell, basis lattice and crystal structure.
3. Discuss experimental methods to determine crystal structure and perform crystal structure calculations.
4. Describe and explain the Drude and Free Electron Models of conduction in solids.
5. Describe the basic thermal, electrical, optical, magnetic and superconducting properties of solids.
6. Apply physical principles to solve numerical problems based on the physical properties of solids.